TOP 10 EARMARK TWEETS
November 6, 2009
Top 10 DHS Conference Report Earmarks:
1. $325,000 to study seismic activity in Memphis, TN
2. $125,000 to replace a generator in La Grange Park, IL
3. $130,000 to relocate the residents of 130 homes in DeKalb, IL
4. $200,000 to retrofit a college radio station in Athens, OH
5. $4 million for the Fort Madison Bridge in Fort Madison, WI
6. $3.6 million for Coast Guard Operations Systems Center in West Virginia
7. $900,000 for the City of Whitefish Emergency Operations Center in Whitefish, MT (Population: 6700)
8. $300,000 to build a pier at the Coast Guard Academy in CT
9. $800,000 for a portable battery recharging system in Tucson, AZ
10. $250,000 to retrofit a senior center in Brigham City, UT
Top 10 Agricultural conference report earmarks:
1. $165,000 for maple syrup research in Vermont.
2. $5 million for a research station in Hawaii to study agriculture practices in the Pacific (Most expensive earmark in this bill)
3. $195,000 to research how to increase the lifespan of peach trees in South Carolina.
4. $349,000 for pig waste management in North Carolina.
5. $500,000 to the National Wild Turkey Federation in Nebraska
6. $1.3 million for greenhouse nurseries in Ohio
7. $75,000 to promote “childhood farm safety” in Iowa.
8. $300,000 to develop “Best Practices in Agriculture Waste Management” in California.
9. $2 million for a fruit laboratory in West Virginia.
10. $819,000 for catfish genome research in Alabama.
Top 10 Energy and Water conference report earmarks:
1. $6 million for the Hawaii Renewable Energy Development Venture
2. $2.25 million for the Montana Bio-Energy Center of Excellence in Montana
3. $1.2 million for the Alternative Energy School of the Future in Nevada
4. $2 million for the Algae Research in Washington
5. $10 million for the Sustainable Energy Research Center in Mississippi
6. $1.2 million for the Hydrogen Fuel Dispensing Station in West Virginia
7. $1 million for the Alaska Climate Center in Alaska
8. $1 million for the Performance Assessment Institute in Nevada
9. $750,000 for the Algae to Ethanol Research and Evaluation in New Jersey
10. $1 million for the New School Green Building in New York
Top 10 Interior Approps Conference Agreement Earmarks
1. $1.2 mil 4 rat eradication @ Palmyra Atoll National Wildlife Refuge (5 sq mile island occupied by a few scientists studying coral reef)
2. $200,000 for historic preservation of the Richardson-Olmsted Complex (former Insane Asylum) in Buffalo, NY - decommissioned in 1970s.
3. $2.5 million for a wastewater treatment plant in Moorefield, WV (population of 2,375) $1,000 subsidy of per person.
4. $1 mil for improvements to the Sewall-Belmont House in DC-Private museum by day, hotspot for fundraisers & lobbyist receptions by night
5. $500,000 to “Vermont Wood Products Collaborative,” to promote the development & marketing of wood products...
6. $500,000 for a tropical botanical garden in Hawaii.
7. $150,000 to renovate an Opera House in Connecticut.
8. $500,000 for a Native Hawaiian arts program in Hawaii.
9. $100,000 for the Tahoe Rim Trail in Nevada to build a 15-mile hiking trail from Reno, Nevada, to Mt. Rose Ski Resort near Lake Tahoe.
10. $750,000 for a Conservation Training Center in West Virginia.
Top 10 Commerce Justice Science Approps Conference Agreement Earmarks
1. $825,000 to “provide assistance to NH’s fishermen due to economic impacts of new and existing regulations.” Just repeal the regs!
2. $250,000 for “Turtle Observer Funding”
3. $1M to “Save the Bay” an “independent, not-for-profit organization” accord to website. How independent if taking $1M govt handout?
4. $500,000 for “textile research and development”
5. $1 million for “Groundfish Industry Emergency Economic Assistance” in Maine.
6. $1m for “Hawaii’s Living Seascape Improvement” 2.3m Americans have rcvd foreclosure notices & have no $ 2 improve their living, unreal
7. $1m to Thunder Bay Museum in MI–recipient of 6 earmarks in last 5 yrs for $6M taxpayer $ spent on building schooner & shipwreck exhibits
8. $2.25M for University of Hawaii for “coral research”
9. $1.6M for NW Straits Marine Conservative Initiative “a citizen-driven enviro protection commission”
10. $300,000 for Texas A&M Univ for “Texas Height Modernization”